Deputy Mayor István Puskás (Fidesz-KDNP) announced that there will be no carnival parade this year and that foreign performers will not perform due to COVID-19. He added that 14 companies, associations and institutions considered it important to display their flower compositions.
Despite the pandemic situation, tens of thousands can see the flower floats of the Flower Carnival of Debrecen, of which 14 were made this year. The flower carts are made with dried and live flowers, and the use of hundreds of thousands of dahlias from the town of Zundert, Netherlands. They are prepared by the work of sculptors, statisticians, and hundreds of volunteers.
The theme of flower carts freely presents the mission, work and connection of the large companies and partners of Debrecen.
The participating companies include
- Debrecen Vocational Training Center has chosen a wise owl for its float
- The float of the Forum Shopping Center entitled “Live free for fashion!” focuses on the importance of renovating wardrobes after COVID-19
- The mascot dog named Fátyol will be shaped to present the One With Nature, World of Hunting and Nature Exhibition.
- A.K.S.D., the local waste transport company , would like to draw attention to the plastic pollution of the oceans this year.
- TEVA Pharmaceuticals emphasized the importance of mental health by choosing the painting idea entitled “Majális” of Pál Szinyei Merse
- Gedeon Richter chose the figures of the City “Tesz-vesz”
- Hajdúszoboszló will display the city’s tourist attractions at their flower float
- Hungarian Post will commemorate the 100-year-old post office in Debrecen with their flower composition depicting a pigeon, on which renewal can be detected with the QR code in the pigeon’s mouth.
The flower floats can be viewed in the framework of the Flower Carriage Promenade this year. They will be exhibited on Nagyerdei Boulevard all day long on 20th of August, while on 21st and 22nd of August, they can be seen at Kossuth Square and Piac Street (pedestrian zone).
It is a novelty this year that the flower floats will be illuminated and can be seen from 9 pm to midnight on 20th of August. The exhibition can be viewed free of charge at any location, without any vaccination certificate.
The flower float depicting the Holy Crown will be presented on 20th of August and then in Oradea. It will also be presented at the International Eucharistic Congress in Budapest at the beginning of September.