The 21st March is World Forests Day. On this occasion, we have collected 10 reasons why the Great Forest (NAGYERDŐ) in Debrecen is a must-see destination!
1. Wandering through the winding forest paths of the Nagyerdő, young and old alike can discover the beauty and secrets of the forest, aided by nature trails and land art.
2. For those who want to get some exercise in the fresh air, you can work out, walk or cycle outdoors under the shady trees of the Great Forest.
3. In addition to wandering around the park, the Great Forest offers a wide range of restaurants, spas, zoos, amusement parks, and sports fields.
4. One of the most popular places in Nagyerdei Park is Lake Békás, with its spectacular fountains and sunbeds, a great place to relax or have a picnic.
5. The playground near Lake Békás offers fun for the little ones, with a “steerable” – hollow, giant frog, a carp rope course, and a playhouse for eager explorers. Sziget-kék located nearby is one of the region’s most exciting playgrounds where children can invent and build new fairy tales in giant sandpits, jump in mini cars, or even test their skills on floating climbing frames and adventure tracks, and winding slides.
6. The Great Forest is home to the country’s first rural zoo, with hundreds of species from 5 continents located on 17 hectares. The zoo is home to the country’s only traditional amusement park, with bumper cars, a horse-drawn sleigh, a ride on a small train, and a variety of themed games for children and adults.
7. The open-air stage in the middle of the park, surrounded by huge pine trees and oak giants, offers theatre performances, concerts, musical performances from spring to autumn, and a garden cinema in summer.
8. The Aquaticum Debrecen SPA spa complex is located in the wonderful natural environment of the Nagyerdő, which has been declared a health resort, and offers thermal baths, indoor Mediterranean adventure baths, a spa department, treatments based on medicinal water, a sauna world, a wellness island and the country’s newest, most modern beach bath.
9. The University of Debrecen, founded in 1912, was built in the Nagyerdő, and its imposing main building is undoubtedly the city’s most beautiful and largest public building.
10. One of the best attractions in Hungary, as ranked by Tripadvisor, the world’s leading social networking platform, is the Nagyerdei Park in Debrecen!