The event taking place on the 4th of June aims to present traditional goulash making as a tradition of the Hungarian Shepherds, who still keep the grey cattle in their herds, and make the traditional dishes of their craft. Shepherds and goulash makers from all over the country and those representing the next generation of Shepherds will compete against each other to demonstrate their skills.
The main competitions, which are related to the daily work of shepherds, are water drawing from a heron well, animal counting to estimate the number of animals crossing a bridge, catching, herding, reading ear numbers, using a hoop whip, and throwing a goulash stick, but judges will also look at the quality of equipment and clothing.
Shepherds competition programme –
- 8.30 a.m. – Presentation of shepherd’s dishes – tasting will be available from 12 noon, tasting tickets can be purchased at the pavilions next to the cooking area.
- 9.00 a.m.- Entry of the cavalcade, Debrecen Hajdú Dance Ensemble, entry, and introduction of the goulash competition participants, presentation of the competition jury
- 9.30 a.m. Welcome speeches, the opening ceremony
- 10.00 a.m. Presentation of costumes, equipment, and tools
- 10.15a.m. Shepherd dance competition 1st round
- 10.30 a.m. Goulash making (beef catching) competition
- 12.15 p.m. Shepherd dance competition, round 2
- 12.45 p.m. Use of a Shepherds/goulash stick – rabbit hitting competition
- 1.15 p.m. Water-pulling and kite throwing competition
- 2.15 p.m. Use of the hoop
- 3.00 p.m. Shepherd dance competition round 3
- 4.00 p.m. Ceremonial announcement of results, prize-awarding; presentation of the chinstrap and bustle
- 5.00 p.m. End of the event – simultaneous chasing with hoop whip