The Institutions of the Hortobágy National Park: Game Park, Bird Hospital, Educational Trails, Animal Park, Mátai Stud Farm provide many programs all year round including some during the cold months of January and February.
Permanent programmes of the Hortobágy National Park in the winter include:
Hortobágy Game Park (open Tuesday-Sunday):
- After purchasing tickets at the Tourinform office in the Hortobágyi Csárda building, the tour/safari vehicle of the national park leaves the parking area next to the Shepherd Museum at the game park at 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- The extra safari service is provided of the Hortobágy Game Park, which you can inquire about at the game park but in January and February the possibilities are very limited due to the wet weather.
More information: https://www.hnp.hu/hu/szervezet-egyseg/turizmus/vadaspark
Hortobágy Bird Hospital (open every day):
- The Institute for the Healing of Injured Birds is open to visitors every day of the week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tickets can be purchased at the box office of the Bird Hospital.
More information: www.madarpark.hu
Pusztai Zoo (open every day):
- It presents the old Hungarian domestic animal breeds living in the Carpathian Basin, the different ways and means of keeping them. The zoo is open every day of the week from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m..
Tickets can be purchased at the zoo’s box office.
More information: http://www.pusztaiallatpark.hu/hu/
Stables of Mátai Stud (open every day):
- The stables of the Mátai Stud Farm are open every day between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., their visit is free.
Educational trails (open every day):
- Szálkahalmi educational trail
- Egyek-pusztakócs swamps and Górési educational trail
- Hortobágy-Halastavi educational trail: expected to be open until January 31st, 2022
It is possible to buy an entrance card to visit the study trails, which can be purchased at the Tourinform Hortobágy office in the second part of the Hortobágy Inn, except on Mondays. The e-book presenting the study trails can be downloaded from the national park’s website: www.hnp.hu/turizmus