Fun things to do with the family on All Saints’ Day, the Day of the Dead in Debrecen, and Halloween!
Friday, 28th October
- Debrecen Pagony invites everyone to a Halloween Street Festival for trick-or-treat fun in the city’s creative quarter, Batthyány Street, and Gambrinus Köz from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Friday, 28th October. The Program for children under the age of 11 will take place between 5 p.m. and continue until 7 p.m. For the older kids (12+), the program begins at 7 p.m. and continues until 9 p.m.
Saturday, 29th October
- There will be Halloween activities for children and adults at several locations. Nature lovers should board Zsuzsi, Hungary’s oldest narrow-gauge railway, as there are programs for the brave at Hármashegyal.
- Children can occupy themselves with scary games, terribly good crafts, and a story at the Méliusz Juhász Péter Library from 10 a.m.
- Agóra Science Center will be hosting a series of playful activities from 10.30 a.m. and family activities from 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- The Aquaticum Mediterranean Experience Baths will also be offering children’s activities for splashing around from 1:00 p.m., while adults will be treated to a film screening from 7:00 p.m.
- Visitors can discover cultural and natural treasures on a sightseeing walk with museologist Katalin Váradi and Zoltán Váradi, head of nature organization Természettár, starting from 2:00 p.m. at the Déri Museum. The program is organized as part of the Autumn Festival of Museums.
- Explore Debrecen is once again organizing a cemetery walk from 2:00 p.m. Visitors can wander among the graves with guide Nóra Erdei.
- Photographer of the Csokonai Theatre András Máthé offers guided tours of the Törőcsik Mari exhibition at the Csokonai Fórum, starting from 4:00 p.m.
- In the evening, there will be several concerts. Anchorless Bodies, Hypocrites Breed, Estenden, and Eternal Bork will be playing at DESz24, while Be Massive can be seen in the Water Tower.
- The Apolló cinema will also offer a special experience from 4:00 p.m., with a concert by Coldplay live from Buenos Aires.
Sunday, 30th October
- The Vojtina Puppet Theater and the Modem will offer activities for the little ones from 10 a.m.,
- Agóra Science Center provides an educational activity called “Animal Halloween” from 10.30 a.m.
- The puppet show “Frakk, the cat’s meow” will be on display at the VOKE Cultural Center from 11:00 a.m.
- The Aquaticum Mediterranean Experience Baths will also offer a program of activities, including glitter body painting and creative activities.
- The animal protection association Együtt az Állatokért (Together for Animals) in Debrecen will organize dog walks and coffee breaks from 2:00 p.m. Animal lovers will also be holding a bake sale on the association’s premises.
- There will also be a guided walk in the cemetery from 2:00 p.m., courtesy of Explore Debrecen.
Monday, 31st October
- City-Legends.Com’s city walks are a unique combination of urban legend and street magic. This will also be the case on 31st October, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., when the world of stunt performers, tricksters, and former orphans will be open to the public.
- Cinema fans will also be kept busy on Halloween night. On 31st October, horror films will be playing in all three theaters of the Apolló Cinema until dawn.
- International Friendship Club Debrecen (IFCD) and American Corner will jointly organize a Halloween event with fun games at 4 PM in Kölcsey Center Kávéház.
Halloween Party in Debrecen Zoo and Amusement Park
As Halloween night approaches, the Debrecen Zoo and Amusement Park celebrate the end of the theme park season with a three-day, (from 29th-31st October) program of frighteningly exciting events. New this year, spooky zoo activities will add to the long weekend, which will be crowned by the now-traditional Halloween party on 31st October from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Night of Terrors
The Night of Horrors is a unique horror-movie-themed event series in Hungary, which will be held for the 7th time between October 29th and 31 this year at the Kerekerdő Amusement Park (Olimpia fasor 23, Debrecen). More than 100 well-known horror characters and a number of special blood-curdling horror locations provide chills for visitors! Definitely a program for families with older kids to consider.
Trolleybus and bus services will be modified between 29th October and 2nd November to accommodate increased travel demand and coincide with the four-day weekend’s opening hours. Read more here.
Source: dehir.hu & Facebook | Photo credit: Pixabay